This pumpkin cheesecake brownie pie is the dessert you need when you can’t decide between pumpkin pie and CHOCOLATE!
I whipped this pie up on a whim, after my third (ugh!!!) disastrous attempt at a chocolate and pumpkin cake that is so perfect in my head but that I just can’t translate into reality.
I’m no quitter. That cake will appear on IBK one day. But I needed a baking win desperately and happened to have leftover pie crust in the fridge and a box of brownie mix just sitting on the counter because someone (erm, not me) filled the pantry with chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk and there was no room left.
And when I saw that brownie mix it hit me like a ton of bricks (or like a giant sack of flour?): brownie pie. Brownie-freaking-pie! With a layer of pumpkin cheesecake baked right in, because why not?
Brownie pie is, of course, delicious on its own. Brownie pie with pumpkin is something else entirely.
Something beyond delicious, something that requires an entirely new word that means, all at once, delicious and dreamy and oh hey, my eyes are rolling back in my head and I’m totally happy about it.
This is now my go-to pumpkin pie recipe even though I guarantee my family of pumpkin pie purists will mutiny. (Do you have families that hate change? I can’t introduce even one new recipe on Thanksgiving without hearing how terrible I am for breaking with tradition.)
But my oven, my rules. Baker’s prerogative.
One bite of this pie though and the nay-sayers will be convinced.
If you make only one of my creations this holiday season, please oh please make it this pumpkin cheesecake brownie pie. If you can make brownies from a mix without trouble then I can virtually guarantee you’ll have success your first time out because it’s so dang easy to make.
Roll your (homemade or, ahem, store-bought crust), mix your brownies, mix your pumpkin cheesecake, then bake. Serve with hot fudge and whipped cream and watch your friends inhale it.
It’s insanity that anything could taste this good.
Pumpkin cheesecake brownie pie—it’s perfect for when you need a win 🙂
This pumpkin cheesecake brownie pie is the dessert you need when you can't decide between pumpkin pie and CHOCOLATE!
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- single pie crust for a deep dish pie
- 1 (18-ounce) box brownie mix + ingredients to make them
- hot fudge sauce, for serving
- Pumpkin cheesecake:
- Combine the cream cheese and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until very creamy. Add the pumpkin, egg yolk, flour, and spices and beat again until well combined. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll your pie crust into a 13-inch (or so) circle and gently transfer to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Trim the excess and crimp the edges.
- Mix brownies according to the directions on the box. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Smooth the pumpkin cheesecake mixture into an even layer over the top. Dollop with remaining brownie batter and swirl the brownie and pumpkin layers with a knife, ensuring you don’t go so deep that you nick the crust.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Cool completely, then slice into wedges and serve with hot fudge sauce.
Pumpkin cheesecake layer adapted from Baked Occasions