These flourless brownies are an indulgent treat and, as an added bonus, they’re naturally gluten-free!
You know I’m firmly in the fudgy camp when it comes to brownies. Firmly. Don’t try feeding me a cake-y brownie. I won’t eat it.
OK that’s a lie. I’ll eat it but I won’t enjoy it. Much.
And today I’m bringing you the ultimate in fudgy brownies. Eating one of these flourless brownies is almost like eating a piece of fudge. And bonus! They’re gluten-free!
Did you see the crackly top? It’s to die for. It’s very reminiscent of the brownies you make from a box mix, but obviously these are a kajillion times better.
I’m not a brownie snob but nothing beats a brownie made entirely from scratch, right?
Normally I like my brownies with frosting or nuts or M&Ms or something just to jazz them up a bit. But I kept these really simple to emphasize just how chocolate-y they are. If you want a more loaded brownie, try this peanut butter cream cheese variation.
But if you just want to enjoy pure, unadulterated dark chocolate-y goodness, then these flourless brownies are for you.
How to melt chocolate in the microwave
When you melt chocolate in the microwave (as you do for these brownies), be sure to stop the microwave every 30 seconds or so to stir. I cannot emphasize this enough.
(Note: if you’re melting white chocolate, you should stop more like every 10 to 15 seconds but we can discuss that another time.)
Stopping to stir prevents the chocolate from scorching, and if you’ve ever scorched chocolate you know just what a tragedy it is. When you melt your chocolate properly, it will look just like the second pic up there ↑↑.
I encourage you to use good chocolate in these brownies.
You can substitute chocolate chips but the end result won’t be nearly as good because chocolate chips have all kinds of additives that prevent them from melting properly.
Make a batch of these flourless brownies today, then HIDE THEM because you will not want to share. I can just about guarantee it.
PS,if you make these brownies–or any IBK recipes–let me know what you think by leaving a comment and rating below. And post a pic on Insta too—tag @theitsybitsykitchen so I can see! For more recipes and fun, like us on Facebook and follow along on Pinterest!
These flourless brownies are gluten-free and exceptionally decadent!
- 8 ounces dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into several chunks
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl until very thick. Add the vanilla, espresso powder, and salt and beat to combine. Gradually beat in the chocolate-butter mixture until fully incorporated. Fold in the cocoa powder with a rubber spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 22 to 32 minutes, until the center just barely jiggles if you tap the side of the pan. Set pan on a wire rack and cool completely before slicing and serving.
Adapted from How to Bake Everything