Mini carrot cake cupcakes for dogs, or carrot cake pupcakes, are an easy, wholesome, and gluten-free treat for your fur baby.
Last year, I attempted to teach Cookie how to shake. She caught on really quickly—or so I thought.
Now every time I tell her to sit, she sits, then lifts her arm up to shake.
And every time I tell her she’s cheating and to wait for the command. But instead of putting her foot back on the ground, she lies down. Then she rolls over.
I’m pretty sure she doesn’t actually know her commands and just runs through them all whenever I have a treat in hand.
I think it’s cute so I give her the treat anyway, ensuring she’ll never actually learn anything.
I tell myself it’s OK to spoil her because she’ll never have to grow up and be independent. And isn’t knowing how to shake useless for a dog?
Considering how much I enjoy spoiling her (see also these homemade dog treats and this ice cream for dogs), I thought it was necessary to make her some pupcakes—also known as cupcakes for dogs.CARROT CAKE cupcakes for dogs!
Does it get any cuter?
I wanted to come up with a dog cupcake recipe for Cookie’s birthday back in April but I didn’t get around to it until now. Cookie went completely gaga for these, and didn’t care that they’re several months overdue.
The pupcakes are topped with plain cream cheese, which is optional but Cookie loved the addition and actually licked the “frosting” off before eating the cake itself. She might not know her commands but she knows how to eat a cupcake 🙂
Tip: be sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before you frost the cupcakes. Otherwise piping/spreading the cream cheese is almost impossible without tearing the cake.
This recipe is also gluten-free, and since carrots are naturally sweet there’s just a little bit of honey for extra sweetness.
These pupcakes are really easy to make and don’t require any special equipment—just a bowl, a spoon, a cheese grater, and a mini muffin tin. The uneaten cupcakes need to be stored in the refrigerator; mine stayed good for five days in an airtight container.
Make a batch of mini carrot cake cupcakes for dogs and treat your fur babies to an extra special treat. They give us so much, it’s the least we can do!
If you make these carrot cake dog cupcakes, be sure to let me know what you (and your dog!) think by leaving a comment and rating below. Post a pic on Insta too—tag @theitsybitsykitchen so I can see!
Mini carrot cake cupcakes for dogs are an easy treat to make for your furry friends.
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot from about 1.5 ounces carrots
- 2 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 mini muffins cups with cooking spray or line with mini cupcake liners and set pan aside.
- Combine the flaxseed meal, brown rice flour, honey, eggs, cinnamon, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Fold the the carrots. Fill each prepared muffin cup 3/4 full and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Place the cream cheese in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. You can also just spread the cream cheese onto the cupcakes. Serve.