You know those days where, as soon as you wake up, you somehow already know you shouldn’t bother getting out of bed because it’s gonna be one of those days?
You’re going to trip over the slippers you foolishly left in the middle of the bathroom floor.
The outfit you carefully laid out last night (because you’re THAT person) looks terrible in the cold light of morning so you’ll need to change your shirt three times, which makes you five minutes late for everything for the rest of the day.
And then you spill coffee on the blouse you finally settled on so you have to wear that first top anyway.
If I could wave a magic wand, I’d make sure none of us ever has one of those days again. Or I’d wave a magic wand and somehow make it OK just to throw those covers back up over our heads and sleep the day away.
But my magic wand is in the shop so I have to make you brownies instead.
They’re delicious (and fudgy!) brownies, though, so we can still be friends right? (Yes, I’m the girl who lays out her clothes every night and also the girl who buys friendship with baked goods.)
These ooey, gooey, peppermint-y confections have me going gaga right now. They don’t skimp on the cheesecake layer, and the brownie layer is filled with Andes mints for an extra kick of peppermint.
I popped the brownies in the freezer after my photo sesh and have been trying and failing to limit myself to eating just one with my lunch for the last week.
But the impending holidays have me craving all things peppermint so it’s cool. Peppermint cheesecake brownies are my little way of getting into the holiday spirit without burning myself out on the Ray Conniff Christmas album before November even starts.
While brownies can’t actually prevent a bad day, they’re a pretty good way to make yourself feel better at the end of one. Or (even better) to reward yourself after an especially good day!
More brownies, fewer coffee spills. That’s my goal for the week 🙂
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring, if desired
- 1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chopped Andes mints (about 22 mints)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 7- by 11-inch baking pan with foil, allowing several inches of excess to hang over the sides. Spray the foil with cooking spray and set pan aside.
- Combine the cream cheese and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Beat in the flour, egg, vanilla, peppermint, and food coloring (if using) and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once mixture is cool, place in a large bowl and stir in the eggs, sugar, peppermint, vanilla, and salt. Gradually add the flour, stirring until smooth. Fold in the chopped mints.
- Pour 3/4 of the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Pour the cheesecake mixture over the brownie batter. Dollop the remaining brownie batter on top of the cheesecake batter and drag a butter knife through the batters to marbleize. Carefully smooth the top with a wet metal spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cheesecake layer is set. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before slicing into bars and serving.
Adapted from The New Best of Betterbaking.com