This easy chocolate cherry cake requires only a few ingredients and a little bit of active time, but it’s as delicious as can be!
Serious question: Is there anything sweetened condensed milk can’t do?
OK, it probably can’t teach me to change a flat tire. But when it comes to dessert, is there any dessert that doesn’t benefit from a healthy drizzle of the stuff?
This chocolate cherry cake is a case in point.
After the chocolate cake comes out of the oven, before you top it with cherries, you drench the cake with sweetened condensed milk, making the cake ultra-moist and extra-sweet.
This chocolate cherry cake is dangerously easy to make.
In fact, I took some step-by-step photos to illustrate!
Start with a box mix chocolate cake. Bake it, then use a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the top about 1 inch apart.
Drizzle with the sweetened condensed milk, then spread on the cherry pie filling.
You’ll chill that overnight, then whip some heavy cream with powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Spread that on top and you’re DONE! And ready to eat.
This is a reasonably refreshing cake too, since it has to chill overnight before you serve it.
Baker’s tip: Bake your cake in the evening, once the heat of the day has dissipated enough that turning on the oven doesn’t sound like the worse thing ever.
Also: if you make the cake in the evening you have fewer waking hours to think about sampling the cake before it’s ready. #winning
I realized as I was scheduling this post that June starts tomorrow. June! TOMORROW! Which means that we’re officially heading into the sizzling days of summer. With that scary fact in mind, a dessert that’s served cold is certainly a good thing.
You’re ready for picnics, backyard barbecues, and afternoons on the patio with a glass of iced tea.
If you make this chocolate cherry cake, be sure to leave me a comment and a rating below–let me know what you think! Post a pic over on Instagram too. Tag @theitsybitsykitchen so I can see!
- 1 15.25-ounce box chocolate cake mix + ingredients to make the cake
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set pan aside.
- Mix cake mix according to directions the box. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake as directed for a 13- by 9-inch cake. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes 1 inch apart across the entire cake and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top. Let cool to room temperature, then gently spread the cherry pie filling over the cake. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, whip the heavy cream into soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla and whip to stiff peaks. Spread over the cake. Slice, garnish each slice with a cherry, and serve.